The Pedal with Pete Foundation’s community of volunteers work to raise funds for cerebral palsy (CP) research through events that include bike rides and walks, and through other fundraising. Established by Pete Zeidner, who has CP, in Kent, Ohio, these events have spread to Columbus, Ohio and Emmetsburg, Iowa, and we seek to start events in other communities. Donors and other stakeholders come from all across the world!
With the funds raised, grants of approximately $50,000 per year are awarded to researchers to further their work developing prevention, treatments, and cures for CP, research that is truly making a difference for people with cerebral palsy, including 800,000 children and adults in the US alone.
Pedal with Pete works in partnership with the American Academy for Cerebral Palsy and Developmental Medicine to aid in the assessment, ranking, and selection of grant requests. Pedal with Pete is internationally recognized as a discerning, consistent funder of seed grants for cerebral palsy research; such grants are a critical part of the clinical research process.
Since the Foundation is completely run by volunteers and works hard to keep costs down through generous donations of supplies from the community, 85% of every dollar raised goes directly to cerebral palsy research. The other 15% have been used to support the event costs.
CP is a neurological condition usually developed during the birth process, when the brain is damaged by a lack of oxygen. Its affects can range from a small hand tremor to someone who is completely bed-bound. In spite of an advanced case of CP, Pete has ridden a recumbent bicycle great distances, raising money for CP research. His perseverance, like that of many others with CP, inspires us.
Please contact us if you’re interested in learning more or would like to volunteer your time or supplies for events, start a new event in your community, or to make a monetary donation.